Monday 13 December 2010

POVRAY woes

In rendering the junk final images, I've encountered problems with ropes and the cabin textures. It only needs time, as ever. Even on my quickest machine, rendering takes hours per scene, and every time I get a rope position wrong, it has to be done again. I think I'll use cylinders and tori to get the anchor positions right, before final render. We're getting there. At least I'm working on it virtually every night now.

I've embedded the instructions for multiple renders in the junk.pov code. In the past it's always taken forever to remember how to do it.

KFI and KFF are the initial and final frame nos (each scene's file label is appended with frame no, which corresponds to scene no)

KI and KF are the initial and final clock values which I use to change the scene no.


// "animation" command line string (paste in empty command line box above)
// +KFI100 +KFF102 +KI0 +KF2

// comment out next line if animation in force
#declare scene=100;

// comment in following line if animation in force
// #declare scene = clock+100;

2 comments:

Daryl Van Humbeck said...

You know you can use POVRay's #ifdef operator to switch between your default snapshot frame and your animation, right?

#ifdef ANIMATING
#declare scene = 100;
#else
#declare scene = clock+100;
#endif

You can read about this stuff here:
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/519/

Gil said...

Yes, I can see that, but I do something different every time, so it's just as quick to comment/uncomment.